#259 – Past Tense – Regular Transitive Verbs
Today we are going to cover the perfect past tense for transitive verbs. This tense refers to actions that are completed. For example: I read. I wrote. I ate. etc.
This tense is fairly easy to make. Take the stem of the verb, which is found by removing the – ना (na) ending. And then add -आ (aa)
Let us review the list of verbs that we used for the present tense:
(See July 12, 2008 – Present Tense masculine and June 13, 2008 – Present Tense feminine. Also, you can see other examples of form the present tense using the verbs “to write” and “to say” in the July 14, 2008 podcast. We also covered the present tense of “to eat”, “to go”, and “to come” in the July 15, 2008 podcast)
We will cover “to read” and leave the other verbs for an exercise to be reviewed at a future point.
पढ़ना (pardnaa) – to read (transitive)
लिखना (likhanaa) – to write (transitive)
कहना (kahanaa) – to say (transitive)
खाना (khaanaa) – to eat (transitive)
सीखना (siikhana) – to learn (transitive)
When using a transitive verb, the subject has “ने (ne)” after it.
The perfect past tense of पढ़ना (pardnaa) – to read is as follows for both the masculine and feminine forms:
I read – मैं ने पढ़ा (main ne pardaa)
We read – हम ने पढ़ा (ham ne pardaa)
You read – The are three version. A very informal one तू ने पढ़ा (tuu ne pardaa)
An two more that are actually grammatically plural. तुम ने पढ़ा (tum ne pardaa) and the most formal which is आप ने पढ़ा (aap ne pardaa)
He/She/It read – उस ने पढ़ा (us ne pardaa)
They read – उन्होंने पढ़ा (unhone pardaa)Download an entire month's worth of lessons. We have all the lessons from May 2009 through October 2011 in zip files containing the audio files and a PDF with all the lessons. You can download these in the paid subscriber area.
If you are not already a paid subscriber, you should consider becoming one. It is only $12 every 3 months. That's only $4/month. Learning Hindi is worth much more than $4/month, so this is a great deal.
- “was” – the past tense of “to be” Download article as PDF The present tense of the word...
- Present Tense – Part 4 Download article as PDF Objective: Review making the present tense...
- Present tense verbs – part 2 – feminine subjects Download article as PDF Objective: Review the present tense masculine...
- Write and Say in the Present Tense Download article as PDF Objective: Review making the present tense...
- Present Tense Verbs (masculine subjects) Download article as PDF Objective: Learn to identify the root...