(Unfortunately the bigger size text looks good on the website but does not look right when people get it in their email. I will have to research it some more and try something different. Back to the letters words for now…)
Today we are going to look at the consonants and vowels in Hindi.
क (ka) ख (kha) ग (ga) घ (gha) ङ (ng)
च (cha) छ (chha) ज (ja) झ (jha) ञ (na)
ट (ta) ठ (tha) ड (da) ढ (dha) ण (na)
त (ta) थ (tha) द (da) ध (dha) न (na)
प (pa) फ (pha) ब (ba) भ (bha) म (ma)
य (ya) र (ra) ल (la) व (va) श (sha)
ष (sha) स (sa) ह (ha)
क्ष (ksha) त्र (tra) ज्ञ (jna)
अ (a) आ (aa)
इ (i) ई (ii)
उ (u) ऊ (uu)
ए (e) ऐ (ei)
ओ (o) औ (ou)
Notice that there are several Hindi characters that have the same English letters associated with them. These do NOT make the same sound. There are subtle differences between these characters that are difficult to represent in the English letters. I would strongly recommend that you learn the Hindi characters to avoid confusion caused by trying to write Hindi letters using the English script.
You will be able to understand these lessons more if you have the Kid’s Primer (http://www.ispeakhindi.com/2008/06/26/260-kids-primer-intro/)Download an entire month's worth of lessons. We have all the lessons from May 2009 through October 2011 in zip files containing the audio files and a PDF with all the lessons. You can download these in the paid subscriber area.
If you are not already a paid subscriber, you should consider becoming one. It is only $12 every 3 months. That's only $4/month. Learning Hindi is worth much more than $4/month, so this is a great deal.
- #263 – English Alphabet (part 3) Download article as PDF One of the most often requested...
- #262 – English Alphabet (part 2) Download article as PDF Today we continue to look at...
- #261 – English Alphabet (part 1) Download article as PDF Today we start to cover how...
- #260 – Kid’s Primer – Intro Download article as PDF Today we do not cover any...
- Hearing the difference between consonants क and ख Download article as PDF Hello! Nariandas and Meena came back...