- Hello/Greetings – नमस्ते (na-ma-ste)
- What is your name? आपका नाम क्या है? (aap-ka naam kyaa hai?)
- My name is ___. – मेरा नाम _____ है। (me-raa naam _______ hai.)
You learned how to ask what someone’s name is, but how do you answer it? With the phrase “मेरा नाम ____ है।” (meraa naam _____ hai.) For example, if my name was राम (raam) then I would say, “My name is Ram.” by saying “मेरा नाम राम है।” (meraa naam raam hai). Try putting your name in this sentence.
Let us look at each work in this phrase:
मेरा (meraa) means “my”.
नाम (naam) means “name”.
The next word should be your name.
And finally the sentence is ended with है (hai) which means “is”.
Let us look at the word order. In English we say “My name is Ram.” but in Hindi we would say “My name Ram is.”. The verb comes at the end of the sentence.
Now let us hear some other speakers say this phrase.
Do you remember how to ask what someone’s name is? आपका नाम क्या है? (aapka naam kyaa hai?) What is your name?
Let us hear some examples of Hindi speakers asking “What is your name?” with the answer in the format “My name is _____.”Download an entire month's worth of lessons. We have all the lessons from May 2009 through October 2011 in zip files containing the audio files and a PDF with all the lessons. You can download these in the paid subscriber area.
If you are not already a paid subscriber, you should consider becoming one. It is only $12 every 3 months. That's only $4/month. Learning Hindi is worth much more than $4/month, so this is a great deal.
- What is your name? आपका नाम क्या है? (aap-ka naam kyaa hai?) Download article as PDF One of the first things you...
- 336 – What’s Your Name? Download article as PDF What’s Your Name? Aapka naam kyaa...
- name – naam-नाम Download article as PDF Hello Everyone, Namaste नमस्ते Good...
- Essential Hindi #001 – Hello and Goodbye Download article as PDF Master Your Vocabulary. Take a look...
- Hello…How are you? (conversation 1) Download article as PDF Today we are going to...