The first “learn Hindi” type book that I got which I was able to effectively learn something from was Dr. Snell’s Teach Yourself Hindi. I am still learning from that course.
Just a few months ago, I got “Hindi Conversation” a audio only course that was also created by Dr. Snell. I have really gotten a lot out of that program as well. I plan to do a review on this course soon.
It had been my dream to someday meet Dr. Snell, but I always imagine it happening in London. That is where he had been teaching for so long. Out of curiosity, I decided to find out exactly where he was located, and what I found surprised me. He was at the University of Texas in Austin, Texas. Which is a wonderful thing because I live in Houston, Texas which is only a 3 hour drive away. At the University of Texas, he help to create the Hindi Urdu Flagship program.
I posted the raw unedited version of the interview. I started to edit it, but ultimately decided the raw recording was the way to go since it captured more of the moment.
In the interview, we cover many topics including:
1) How Dr. Snell came to know, study, and teach Hindi.
2) Ideas on learning a second language. One idea that we touched on was drilling and creating a vast set of small variations around a grammar or vocabulary lesson. You will see this incorporated in ISpeakHindi next month… so get ready to drill, drill, drill :-)
3) Hindi Urdu Flagship program.
And several other topics… I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I do… I found the interview to be very motivating to make me learn more Hindi and to improve the program.
You should see some of Dr. Snell’s other books:Download an entire month's worth of lessons. We have all the lessons from May 2009 through October 2011 in zip files containing the audio files and a PDF with all the lessons. You can download these in the paid subscriber area.
If you are not already a paid subscriber, you should consider becoming one. It is only $12 every 3 months. That's only $4/month. Learning Hindi is worth much more than $4/month, so this is a great deal.
- Interview with Shirish Nadkarni, CEO of LiveMocha Download article as PDF Today, we have an interview with ...
- Stumbling on with ISpeakHindi.com Download article as PDF Thank you all for the wonderful...
- status Download article as PDF Today, we recorded 5 vocabulary builders...
- Progress and re-thinking the goals of the site Download article as PDF This has been a very busy...
- Welcome to ISpeakHindi.com Download article as PDF This is a site dedicated to...